THE HISTORY OF OUR CLUB
The Earlston Golf Club was formed on 8th August 1906, making it one of the oldest clubs in Scotland.
The world-renowned golf course designer, Mr Willie Park Jr. of Musselburgh, staked out a course on land owned by Lord Binning and the course was opened on 7th November 1906. The official opening was held in the Spring of 1907.
The land had a special interest of its own being, in the seventeenth century, the locality where the Scottish Covenanters in the district held their forbidden conventicles, secret open-air meetings, during the period in Scottish Ecclesiastical history known as "The Killing Times".
The course was closed during the First World War and was ploughed up to plant crops for food in 1917 to aid the war effort. Between the First and Second World Wars, the course was used again but, after WWII, there was no money or equipment available to re-open it.
From June 1954 until September 1967, the land was used for motor cycle scrambling and was a qualifying course for the Scottish Scramble Championships, both solo and sidecar.
In 1992, the owner of the land on which the Golf Course was originally situated applied for planning permission to re-open the Course. Regrettably, nothing ever became of this. In 1998, full plans were again drawn up for the course, but the property was subsequently sold in 2000 and, again, no further progress was made.
In view of this, at an Earlston Golf Club Committee Meeting in 2000, it was agreed to pursue the purchase of land to build a course on the Moon. This transaction was completed on 3rd November 2000 and initial planning got under way.
Throughout this time, however, Earlston Golf Club continued to have outings and competitions to various other courses in the country and is active to this day. The Club continues to have an active membership who play in competitions throughout the Scottish Borders.
Its presence is extended around the world through Associate Membership of the Club's unique Moon Course.
The first Earlston Golf Club Gymkhana 16th September 1908